Sunday, October 21, 2007

What a couple of weeks!

Two weeks of heads-down work have left no time to post, but what a couple of weeks it's been.

At work we brought in a new client that we're really looking forward to working with, and are about to start on another project with an existing client, so it's going to be busy. (Note: if any of you know of an absolutely top-notch software developer who is experienced with most of the Microsoft product stack and looking for full-time employment in the Atlanta area then please let me know).

Still losing weight, and feeling better all the time. My stomach continues to shrink inside, making portion control instantly relevant to me when I sit down to a meal. I still need to increase my exercise, though.

Got the FoodSaver. They sent the wrong color, but considering all the strife in the world today, I think I'll be able to deal with it. Maybe.

The sous-vide water bath arrived, but it was covered in a strong-smelling corrosive chemical and the heating element leaked a heavier-than-water clear fluid that pooled in the bottom of the basin during testing. I'm negotiating with the eBay seller on its return. Missed out on three other water baths that were in pristine condition, but I didn't want to spend as much as the other bidders, so no deal. My goal is to be cooking sous-vide before Thanksgiving.

I've joined the Slow Food movement. You should, too (see Relevant Distractions). Julie Schaffer runs the Atlanta convivium (chapter), and she's apparently a big fan of Michael Tuohy's Woodfire Grill, too. I've heared many good things about her and the Atlanta convivium, and I'm looking forward to my first event with them.

And now for the big news... I've been accepted as a member of the Confrérie de la Chaîne des Rôtisseurs, the most prestigious gastronomic society in the world, and also in the inner Societe Mondiale du Vin, it's wine appreciation arm. I've always wanted to be a member of the Chaîne since I heard of them some twenty years ago. I don't know when the next induction ceremony will be (where I receive my ribbon of rank), but our first event is a Mondiale dinner at the Woodfire Grill! Many thanks to David for watching the kids.

Got a wardrobe refresh, too. A decent tuxedo, a tweed sport jacket, a navy blazer, three nice pairs of trousers, and a few formal and casual shirts. A little tailoring by the very capable hands of Michaela Jordache, and everything fits to a T. Brad Pitt I'm not, but at least I don't look like such a schlub with proper tailoring. (Incidentally, Brad Pitt often exclaims, "Adam Churvis I'm not, but at least I know what software is.")

Made a beautiful batch of glace de viande from about twelve pounds of chicken backs. There's so much fat in backs that you have to transfer to another pan every half hour of roasting and pour the fat into the stock pot for the simmering stage. Then at three hours into the simmering you have do to a complete defatting, then recombine the defatted stock back in with the cooked backs and vegetables, add water back up to the top, and continue simmering for another six hours. Then you're back to defatting all over again, but it's much more manageable the second time around. I always freeze the fat, then scrap the settled gelled stock back into the pot for reduction. Can't waste a drop!

I use a 50-50 combination of beef and chicken glace to simulate a veal glace, and it works very well. I'm using that today for the beef Bourgogne I'll be vacuum packaging for later in the week. Tonight it's Butterflied Cornish Game Hens with an orange sauce made from the jus, chicken glace, Valencia orange juice and zest, and Grand Marnier. I'll be serving with roasted root vegetables (potatoes, turnips, beets, carrots) and green peas braised with Boston lettuce and pearl onions. And the excess will from now on be vacuum packaged for reheating later in the week, so it will taste as fresh as the moment I made it.

Life is good, y'all. KBO!

No comments: